Sunday, April 27, 2014

Finley and the Slide

Yesterday, I met Missi, Justin, Finley and Jonah at a public park here in Sugar Hill, GA for an event called "Touch a Truck." All kinds of trucks are on display and children enjoy climbing in them, blowing the horn and pretending like they are driving them. It is a fairly popular event. Finley and Jonah enjoyed spending a few minutes looking but they really wanted to play. They had noticed the playground as we were walking to the area where the trucks were. So, instead of leaving, we had to stop by the playground.

Finley, who is just 26 months old,  was especially excited because he loves to slide. He was begging to slide so we took him to there. There was a problem, however. The slide had been baking in the sun and was too hot for him to slide. It is hard to explain to a 26 month old who had his heart set on sliding that it could hurt him.  I picked him up and he began to kick and scream. "Slide, slide," he cried! He continued to cry as I was carrying him towards the car and my heart was totally broken. I hated hearing him cry for the slide and there was nothing I could do.

All I was doing was protecting him from burning himself but he didn't know that. I recovered quickly because I remembered the little football that the police gave him where the trucks were and we played with the football and he forgot about the slide.

Today, as I was running, I was thinking about how sad something so simple was. I began to think about how many times I wanted something and cried for it but God didn't let me have it because He was protecting me from some danger. It all goes back to trust. Even in the little things, I have to trust God. He knows the thing I want may burn me and He is only protecting me. I'm still learning to trust Him.







No comments: