Friday, May 10, 2019

Evolving Faith

Ironically, just using the word “evolving” already shows an evolution in my faith. It is true that God never changes but for many of us, our understanding of God changes based on how we were brought up and where He is leading us in our beliefs. I was brought up in a fairly strict Pentecostal environment. I am 64 years old and have evolved in my faith in many areas of theology. The way I have evolved is away from a God who is looking for any and every way possible to “getcha” to a God of love and One who is looking for any and every way to “love ya.” 

I will follow up this blog with some specifics and explanations about my beliefs in other blogs. I do know that many of my family and friends will disagree with some of my findings but, that’s OK. We don’t fall out of fellowship for attempting to grow in our faith and discovering beliefs that are contrary to how we were brought up. Most of my evolution came about by simply thinking “that doesn’t sound like a loving God.” From that point, I would study and seek out counsel in what was disturbing me. Sometimes I got help and sometimes, I didn’t. I have found myself becoming more liberal in my theology, not to be confused with the political term “liberal.” But, if understanding more about the love of God and who He really is makes me liberal, then, so be it. God is not out to get you. He is out to love you! He loves you with an everlasting and unconditional love. It is not His will that ANY perish. Jesus says for us to come to Him, all of us who are weary and He will give us rest. He invites each one of us to His table to sup with Him. Break the bread and partake of the wine. 

Like I mentioned, I will follow up this blog with some of my new found thoughts. Keep in mind, I am not preaching to you in a way that I think my way is right and your way is wrong. I am simply wanting to share with you some things I found. Please let me know if you are reading and are interested in reading more about my evolving faith. 

No comments: