Wednesday, October 23, 2013

My 2013 World Series pick

After another great regular season by my team, the Braves, the World Series will once again be played by another National League team, the St. Louis Cardinals. Usually, after the Braves lose, I'm not interested in watching the Series but this year is different. My second and third favorite teams are playing in it this year. Let me explain why St. Louis and Boston are next on my list.

Before the Braves came to Atlanta in 1966, for a couple of years, the minor league Atlanta Crackers were a farm team of the Cardinals. I have memories of listening to Harry Caray broadcast the Cardinals on KMOX from our house in Roswell, Georgia. 2 of my friends were drafted by the Cardinals out of Roswell High School. My lifelong best friend, Denny Pritchett and Mike Ramsey. Mike made it all the way to St. Louis and played in the 1982 World Series. So, you can see why the Cardinals are my second favorite team.

The Red Sox are my third favorite team. They are from Boston, my favorite city. The Braves came from Boston. One player who came to Atlanta with the Braves actually played for the Boston Braves, Eddie Mathews, who I saw play in 1966. I think another reason I like the Red Sox is because I hate the Yankees. If you hate the Yankees, you have to pull for Boston. The Red Sox are usually the underdog and I love pulling for the underdog unless they're playing my team.

I remember the 1967 World Series. I was at Nash Junior High in Smyrna, Georgia and had to slip a radio into school to hear some of it. It was Boston versus St. Louis. Players like Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, Tim McCarver, (who also played for the Crackers) Carl Yastrzemski  and Jim Lonborg. It was a great World Series with St. Louis coming out on top in 7 games.

This brings me to my pick. This year is very unusual in that the teams with the best records in each league are playing. My brain says the Cardinals will win in 7 games. My heart is with Boston this year. I am going with Boston in honor of the Boston Marathon tragedy. Who will win? As Harry Caray's son, Skip Caray would say....that's why they play the games. One thing's for sure. It will be an entertaining 2013 World Series. For the Braves? Wait until next year!

No comments: